Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Staying healthy while traveling

As some of you may know, I travel almost weekly to North Carolina for work. It's taken me a while to get a handle on how to stay healthy while traveling, so I thought I'd share some of my tips and tricks to you guys!

While in the airport, I picked up a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit from Popeyes which I removed the biscuit from to cut down on the calories and carbs. It was quite delightful! And on the side, a cup of iced coconut pu-erh tea! Yummmm

For a snack on the plane, I got a small little pack of lightly salted peanuts and a cup of orange juice. I always get orange juice while traveling to help out my immune system. Lord only knows all the germs I come in contact with in the airport and on planes! HAHA

When I got to North Carolina, I stopped at Subway and grabbed a grilled chicken and spinach salad with shredded cheese, a little bit of Chipotle dressing, and pickles! I swear to you, this was the best salad I have ever had, and I think the pickles had a lot to do with it! Sooooo good!!

Many restaurants these days offer lighter choices or meals under X amount of calories, which I find to be extremely convenient! I picked up the lighter choice grilled salmon from Chilis, which was greatness! The rice sucked and the broccoli was too crunchy for my taste, so I just ate the salmon, but it was very good! Another great lighter choice option from Chilis is the Santa Fe Chicken Wrap, yummmmo!
If I am in a hurry and have to run through a drive through, I almost always order grilled chicken sandwich without the bun. I've never had any problem ordering it anywhere before! And most places won't charge you for the full sandwich!

The hotel I stay at does not offer the best options for snackage, so I picked up a pack of trail mix, which I ended up only eating the nuts because the dried fruit had added sugar. Or another good option is popcorn, and just have a small portion. I really love popcorn and have to have strong will power to not eat the entire bag...especially when there isn't anyone there to judge me! HAHA

Also, make sure to utilize the work out facilities provided by most hotels! I was able to get in 30 minutes on the treadmill and work on my bat wings in the hotel work out room all by myself!

The hotel usually has some pretty good breakfast options, always including a plethora of pastries and waffles, yogurts, boiled eggs, and cereals. And then depending on the day, they have sausage or bacon, or scrambled eggs, or omelets. I'm really weird about eating scrambled eggs made by someone else, so I opted for 2 pieces of bacon and a boiled egg.

Mixed it all up, and it was quite tasty!!




Ready to head back to Texas! Drinking an iced white tea while on the way to the airport.

What are some of your healthy traveling tips??





No comments:

Post a Comment